Sunday, September 12, 2010







Finally, posting up some of my iPad pictures. My Wacom is dying and not doing it's job right, and an intuos tablets are pricey, and the cintiq is about the price of my computer so I was looking at some alternatives, looked up stuff on the internet and played with some before and took the plunge and bought an iPad. I'm a critic of the iPad, because quite frankly I still don't know what it is. Most gadgets have a main functions and stuff they do rather competently on the side. My Nokia is a phone, but it plays music and some OK games and descent happy snaps, my iPod plays music, and is a hard disk and movie viewer too, and my digital camera captures descent home movies too. The iPad has no main function, but being a a screen that does some stuff quite competently. In my situation and lifestyle and work, the iPad is my best option. I do most my drawing outside work, and the stuff needs to be digital. I have to say I think the iPad is good at that, but I'm a super niche market. For all the other stuff the iPad does, my Dell mini does everything better and faster at almost half the price. The touch screen is neet, but I preffer e-mailing and surfing the web with a keyboard and mouse. The touchscreen I'm not a fan of. As for games? It costs more than a PS3, and besides some casual games the format doesn't suit what I play. Except Monkey Island.
So I'm not highly impressed with the iPad, but for what I want to do it's great. Some of the art programmes on it are super sweet. Only gripe is that most only let you work at the resolution of the screen, so you still need your desktop for commercial work, though I'm guessing some of the vector programmes might work fine.
I have Artstudio, Brushes and Sketchbook Pro. I used sketchbook pro before, and it is the best sketching programme on my Mac. The animatic I have a couple of posts before was done with sketchbook pro and after effects ;) And on the iPad it's even more comfortable, and actually all my drawings posted are done with that.
The only con I have with sketchbook pro, that it won't let you draw bigger than big size, and when you zoom in it becomes blurry. I preffer the pixelated option of Photoshop and Artstudio on iPad. Other than that sketchbook pro draws lines with practically no lag, it has a heavy set of options, and let's you put images from itunes straight to your desktop. With other software needing you to e-mail yourself if you want to do anything with it. It's actually a hassle, as gmail on iPad won't let you load up attachments.
Artstudio is best on user option, but the pencil lags a bit, but you can have an image a little bigger than your screen. Nothing too serious or impressive, but it's better, and Brushes is not so intuitive, and I need to play with it more.
Adobe have a sketch programme called Ideas, it's free, and vectorises your images. No layers though, it's pretty simple tool, but still pretty cool.
Overall I bought my iPad with a stylus. My stylus is crap, it's rubbery, small and has a fat tip. try to draw with the side and it doesn't work. I find using the finger actually quite good. These images all done with my finger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment